Truscon offer a number of services relating to domestic oil storage and can supply and install tanks up to 3,500 litres capacity supplying oil to single family dwellings for heating and cooking purposes.

These services include:

  • Laying bases or building supports all to current regulations
  • Supply and install new tanks – many manufacturers, capacities ranging from 350 litres up to 3,500 litres
  • Oil lines, Fire Valves and Oil Lifters (Tiger Loops)
  • Relocate existing tanks
  • Safety checks, risk assessments and landlord safety checks
  • All new installs will be registered with Oftec

About your oil tank

Modern oil storage tanks come in all shapes and sizes and can be made from plastic or steel. The size and type will depend on your individual requirements. It is recommended that the chosen tank is manufactured to OFTEC Standards (OFS T100 for plastic or OFS T200 for steel).

Your oil tank should be inspected annually as part of your heating system’s regular service visit. Oil tanks, like all heating products, have an expected working life (typically 20 years) and, if used beyond this time, the risk of a costly tank failure increases. We or the tank manufacturer can advise you further should you have any concerns about your tank should consider replacing it if any defects are noticed.

Protecting the environment

To minimise the risk of pollution from an oil spill, some installations must have secondary containment (a bund). This can be achieved by either choosing an integrally bunded tank or constructing a bund around a tank. The bund must be capable of holding at least 110% of the tank’s contents.

We will be able to advise whether you need a bunded tank using a standard risk assessment. Typically, installations near a river, well or any controlled water are likely to require bunding.

Tank location

It is unlikely that a fire could be started by a domestic oil storage tank and its contents. However, tanks are required to comply with fire separation distances in order to adequately protect the stored fuel from a fire or heat source, that may originate nearby.

Tanks should be sited:

  • 1.8mtrs away from non-fire rated eaves of a building
  • 1.8mtrs away from a non-fire rated building or structure (e.g. garden sheds)
  • 1.8mtrs away from openings (such as doors or windows) in a fire rated building or structure (e.g. brick built house/garage)
  • 1.8mtrs away from oil fired appliance flue terminals
  • 760mm away from a non-fire rated boundary such as a wooden boundary fence
  • 600mm away from screening (e.g. trellis and foliage) that does not form part of the boundary.

If it is impossible to comply with these requirements, then a fire protection barrier with at least 30 minutes fire rating should be provided. A minimum separation distance of 100mm is required between the tank and fire rated barrier unless a larger distance is specified by the tank manufacturer.

In some situations, the oil storage tank can be sited inside a building such as a garage or outhouse. Installations of this type require the tank to be self-contained within a 60 minute fire rated chamber.

Don’t forget the base or support

The need to provide a suitable base and support for your oil tank is of paramount importance for reasons of both safety and environmental protection.

The base should be:

  • Adequate for the weight of the tank
  • Non-combustible, imperforate and level
  • Constructed of concrete, paving stones or stonework
  • Large enough to extend 300mm beyond all sides of the tank.

If an oil storage tank is not adequately supported, the tank itself can be weakened leading to the eventual failure and escape of the stored fuel. During the life of an installation an oil storage tank base will need to provide continual structural support, even though ground conditions may alter from season to season and year to year.

Building regulations

Oil storage tank installations need to comply with regional Building Regulations. In England and Wales, Truscon as an OFTEC registered business can self certify our own work without involving Local Authority Building Control. But if you choose to use someone who isn’t registered with a ‘Competent Person’ scheme like OFTEC, then you will have to obtain a Building Control Notice and arrange for an inspection which can be costly and time consuming.


What our customers say……

Colette Lewis Trethomas

They came recommended and didn’t disappoint! Had a new Worcester boiler, pipe work and new radiator and even put a cupboard up! Arrived on time, left no mess and did a great job. Will be passing on the recommendation and wouldn’t hesitate to use again, thanks both!

See some of our previous work